Creative Chaos

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Valentine Chair Backers!


If you're a surfer on the craft blogs, I'm sure you've seen these bags by now. The blog, Our Scoop, posted a tutorial back in 2009 on how to make these, and it's gone viral. Of course, how could I resist-they are adorable!

I actually saw the post last year, but I couldn't find any cute fabric, so I've been a little slow to do them. Were they easy? Not really. Worth it? We'll see next week when I bring them out at FHE and have the kids spend a week putting little notes and treats into them.

For some reason, using felt didn't really appeal to me. So I went the cotton route, which meant I had to use interfacing. Tried a really stiff one first, "iron on", and it was way too stiff and the "iron on" made the fabric almost bubble where it didn't adhere correctly. So I went back and got a thin interfacing, sew-in type, and I'm much happier with the results. But, if you're looking for the simplest way, go the felt route. On Our Scoop's website, she links you to the wool felt she used. I'm not sure that I'd pay that much-I'd probably go to Jo-Ann Fabric and use a 40% off coupon and get regular felt on the bolt-but that's me.

Anyway, here are mine....


(Don't mind the dark pink spots on the top of mine-it's wet from me trying to erase pencil mark where I had put buttons, but then decided I didn't like them so I cut them off!)

I probably could have taken the embroidered name a little larger, but I didn't want the name overpowering. And it makes it hard if you have long names, and short names! I ended up doing 1 1/4" tall letters.

Love this stripe from Jo-Ann! It was over in the higher quality "name brand" cottons, but with a 40% off coupon, it was fine with me.


Here is a link for the tutorial:

Happy crafting!!





1 comment:

  1. I must have!!!!! I may attempt to find someone here with a sewing machine and get to work for next year! I am in love with these! I love how your turned out!!

    ReplyDelete